Tuesday, January 27, 2009

I Love my Neti Pot

This winter, I have been plagued by one cold after another. Chemo and radiation really wiped out my immune system to the point that I feel like the equivalent of a two-year-old in daycare for the first time! I'm catching everything!

All the antibiotics I had to take after my various surgeries didn't help either. We all know that overuse of antibiotics creates resistant strains, and guess what? I seem to have created an ideal environment for them to flourish and build up one heck of a lovely sinus infection. A visit to Minute Clinic got me a prescription for some scarily large pills of Ambutin which I hope will take effect soon, but in the meanwhile, I am managing to stay relatively comfortable thanks to this.

This goofy little teapot looking thing is a neti pot, and you use it clean out your nasal passages. I've known about neti pots for years and natural health practitioners frequently recommended them as a great way to keep colds and allergies under control. But I could never get over the "gross" factor. It just seemed way too nasty to attempt to shove salty water up my nose. But when my head started to feel like it was stuffed with cotton balls, and my ears and jaw started to ache from the pressure, the lady at my natural foods co-op talked me into it. I am so very extra glad that she did!

It is, dare I say it, quite nice. You clear out all the toxic junk, you breathe easier, and I'm told that regular use will help you keep from getting colds in the first place. I am sold. And you don't solely have to take my word for it. It seems that even Oprah recommends them.

1 comment:

  1. I need to get hubby one of these. He's a chronic sinus sufferer, refuses to go on antibiotics ever again, and runs around sounding like Snufalufagus. Irrigation sounds like the way to go. Hope you're feeling better!

    Stephanie (nash) :)

    ReplyDelete